Thursday, May 04, 2006

Marathon Training Upadate May 2-4th

Monday night was a great experience talking at the Running Room in Pickering. I could tell that the 5K runners had a good base of nutritional knowledge and yet also required some clarification on a few issues. With everyone into the "low carb craze" it was important for me to stress to the group why runners NEED carbohydrates. I came away from the talk with a sense of accomplishment and I look forward to my next nutrition talk on May 12th.

On Tuesday afternoon I ran 11K in about 1hour. The weather was great and it was nice to run in shorts and technical T-Shirt. Running in warmer weather is a new experience for me as I started running in the fall of 2005. My body has been used to winter running and now I must get acclimated to the warmer temperatures. What I've learned in just this short amount of time is the importance of keeping water with me. In the winter I could get away with not having water on runs less than 15K but now I'm finding myself constantly needing water even on a 10K run. I'm sure that the more experienced I get the more I'll know what to bring/not bring with me on my runs.

I went out on Wednesday morning and did 10K at 5AM. The first few K's were difficult but I soon found my groove and finished the run in about 51 minutes. I realized that it takes me roughly about 1hour to get into a comfortable rhythm. I also ran another 5K at a very slow pace in the evening to help my girlfriend prepare for her marathon in December. She has been unable to run for about a year and is feeling the frustration as she has to start from scratch again. She has completed several 1/2 marathons so it's difficult to start over again but it's also important for her to build up her base.

I'm going to take a few days off from running and do about 1hour on the stationary bike today so I can prepare for my 30K race on Saturday. After that it will be Marathon Week and the mental and physical preparations will be in full force!

No comments: