Thursday, June 11, 2009

Running is my life



What would my life be like if I didn’t have running? I really wish I never find out.

Ever since I got separated 4 years ago, running has been the once constant in my life. It doesn’t matter if it’s snowing, raining, hot, cold, thunderstorms or clear skies. It is there for me when I’m feeling happy or sad. It has gotten me through the heartache of losing my dog and the heartaches of failed relationships. The only thing that running ever asks of me is to take care of my feet with regular tune-ups (new shoes). Other than that, little is asked in return.

I always start my day off with a run. Now and then I’ll take a day off here and there, usually to recover from a race, but, knock on wood please, I haven’t had to take more than 3 consecutive days off from running since 2005.

My favourite time to run is without a doubt first thing in the morning. I need that “fix” to start my day off right. It’s difficult to describe the feeling that I get from a run and unlike many of my friends who like the feeling they have after the run is over, I actually love the feeling I get WHILE I’m running. I’m able to really look at my life when I run, the good and the bad. Mistakes I’ve made and the things that I have accomplished.

Running is more than just a physical activity for me, it’s a way of life and it is no different than brushing my teeth or taking a shower. It is a routine that is unlike any other I have ever experienced and it continues to feed me positive feelings day after day after day.

I’m lucky because I get to see the sun come up while others are tucked away in their beds. A friend of mine is going through a rough time with his workouts and hasn’t been at the gym for a few days. I wish he could get the same feelings I get from running that he gets from lifting weights. If I am depressed then running lifts me up. No it doesn’t make everything better but it does give me an escape for an hour or two and I usually come back with a much better attitude about things. The guilt of not running would eat me up inside and would make for a very long and depressing day.

Today I did a 45 minute tempo run. I had forgotten how gruelling this workout was but I quickly found out. I started out running at a comfortable pace (5:10 to 5:15 min/KM) for the first 13 minutes. After that I picked up the tempo quite a bit for 20 minutes (4:25 to 4:30 min/KM) and then finished with 12 minute cool down. I really wanted to push myself today and I was happy with what I accomplished.

No comments: