Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Building blocks to success

Today I did my required mileage, ok so I went 4 miles instead of 3 but it was close enough. I'm really starting to find out how to gauge my speed. Each run I have I have thoughts about the Scotiabank Marathon. I try to imagine that I am running the race while I'm training and that keeps me focused.

Even though the race is still months away, I need to train properly in order to reach my goal. I am laying down building blocks so that my foundation will be strong. My goal weight is still 150 to 155 and right now I am about 10 pounds away from where I need to be. I know that I will achieve this weight as long as I stay the course and keep my workouts as varied as possible. In addition I will be slowly increasing my carbohydrates, reducing my protein intake and keeping my calories under 2000 per day. I want to keep my carbohydrates relative high since I am doing so much running. Protein isn’t as necessary for me right now because I am not building muscle. It will probably represent about 25% of my diet with Carbohydrates and Fats at 55% and 20% respectively.

Running “light” for me is so important and even though I am not there yet, I can actually feel lighter now. I may have to sacrifice some muscle in order to get to that weight but I know it will help me run faster so I am willing and able to do what I need to do.

The only weight training I am doing right now is an upper body workout once per week using mostly bands and some free weights. I do this every Wednesday after my 4 mile run. I am also doing some core work to work my transverse abdominals, obliques, and spinal erectors (lower back). I am avoiding doing any leg work since I am running 6 days per week and sometimes twice per day as I am teaching some clients how to run as well.

Next up: 35 minute Tempo Run tomorrow morning at 5:00 AM

No comments: