Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Feeling like a nascar driver



Today was my first run of the week and even though I have a race on Saturday, I’m sticking to my training schedule. My run started as always with a 4:00 AM wake-up followed by a cup of tea, ½ a banana and then out the door by 5:00 AM.

My plan today was to do an interval run of 6 miles. The first two and last two miles I wanted to run at a nice comfortable pace which for me is about a 8:30 to 8:45 minute mile. Sandwiched in between those I wanted to do a speed or tempo run for 2 miles. I like to call it “switching gears.” Those two miles I really wanted to push myself as much as possible.

Sometimes it’s easier to just start fast and keep that pace so I had to really hold myself back for the first two miles even though I wanted to run fast. I was disciplined enough though to do this and when my Garmin read 2 miles I took off. I wanted to really feel the burn today and that was accomplished. I ended up running a 7:50 and then a 7:35 minute mile.

I found the transition back to running slow very interesting. As I finished the tempo run and eased into the recovery portion I thought I was running slower than I was. Much to my surprise, my recovery portion of the run was an 8:32 and 8:36 minute mile. I had to laugh at one point because when I was training for my ultra races, those WOULD have been considered fast for me.

Tomorrow will be an easy 3 mile run followed by a core workout. I swore I would not get out of bed for anything less than 10 miles but I have been impressed with the training schedule that I am on and now I am a believer of the less is more theory.

No comments: