Sunday, August 10, 2008

A time to reflect

As sore as I was this morning, I realize the importance of doing a good recovery run the day after a race. It would have been nice to sleep in for a change, and just do nothing but those who know me realize that that is something that I have a hard time doing.

My recovery run (just over 10KM) was at a nice easy pace and the main objective was just to loosen up my leg muscles. It was during this run that I was able to reflect on my race yesterday. I was very pleased with how well I was able to run considering that this was my 7th Ultra Marathon race since April. Eventually all those miles start to wear on you so I'm sure that by the time my last race is over in October, I won't have much left in the tank.

Yesterday I was able to run quite a bit with several of the elite runners. Even though I realized that they were going much slower because they were running longer than I was, it was still nice to pick the brains of these amazing runners. More than anything else, though, it made me feel like I belonged. Even though I've been running now for 3+ years, part of me still feels like I have something to prove to the veteran trail runners. All the trail runners who do the OUS races are all so supportive and encouraging and it's like a family reunion when we all get together at the races. In fact, the best part of the race is the fun we all have afterwards.

I travelled with one of my Ultra running heroes yesterday and it was nice listening to him talk about some of the races he has done. I am planning on doing an Ultra race in Texas in December and I'm hoping he can come along.

After today I will begin to focus on my next race. This will be one of the most challenging races I've ever done. Running in Haliburton is an experience that I'll never forget and I know that the 50 Miler will require me to be as focused as possible.

No comments: