Sunday, August 03, 2008

Positive influences can make a big difference

One of the things that running has taught me is that I have a very strong mental "game." I can count on one hand the number of times that my mind has gotten the better of me with regards to finishing a run or race. The truth is that without my mental toughness, there would be no way I would be able to accomplish the things that I have with regards to my running.

This has also had a huge impact on the rest of my life but there is still areas of my life that need improvement. I've noticed that because I run so much I can get away with more than most people with regards to nutrition. However, I also know that I would be a much better runner if I became just a little more disciplined with my diet.

I'm lucky that I am surrounded by people who are willing to push me to limits beyond I thought possible and that has turned my life around in the past two weeks. My diet has never been "cleaner" and my body is reaping the benefits as a result. I have never felt this lean before and that has more to do with my nutrition than anything else.

We all need people around us who will offer support when we need it as well as a kick in the pants from time to time. Most people, unfortunately, surround themselves with negative influence which makes it more difficult to achieve their goals. In the end, though, the choice becomes your and yours alone. If you keep your eye on the prize and realize that without proper nutrition you will never get what you want, then things will start to come into focus.

My life has never been more complete these past few weeks and I'm running with more peace of mind than ever before. I know that things will only get better and that is something that I'm excited about.

No comments: