Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Wow, it's been a long time hasn't it?

After making daily journal entries into my blog I can't believe that it's been a month since my last post. During that time I have discovered the one thing that seemed to be missing in my own life and that was balance.

Running was, and still is, my passion in life but it was starting to become too much of a priority. I discovered that I could still run but that I didn't have to run so much everyday (10 miles).

This past weekend I completed my 9th Ultra race of the year (50K at Haliburton). I had originally signed up for the 50 Miler (80K) but I ended up running a shorter distance instead. One of the main reasons why I made that decision was because I didn't want to spend the whole weekend there. It would have taken me 12 hours or more to complete that distance and I would have had to drive home the next morning. I realized that I could still have a good time running 50K, which took me over 6 hours, and then drive home and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

The other reason was that I didn't want to be away from my kids for more days then I needed to. I also wanted to be able to run and not have to worry about taking time off after the race.

I have never regretted a "gut decision" and this one was no exception. After the race I was able to drive home and still have a great weekend with my boys. I also ran on Sunday and though my legs were tired, I managed to feel better pretty quickly.

My run today was also good and I feel like I can push myself a little longer tomorrow. I only have 2 races left (both in October) and then I'll be able to take some time off and start doing some strength training.

Sorry that it has been so long since my last post!

No comments: