Sunday, January 07, 2007

Finding your "passion"

It comes as no surprise to those that know me best (Nancy, Theresa, Miriam) that running is indeed my passion. When I'm not running I'm usually "thinking" about my next training run or researching the latest running magazines on the Internet. I've only recently discovered running about 1.5 years ago and still have much to learn about the sport. Thankfully this passion has not caused any major injuries (bumps on the head from trail running notwithstanding). As I learn more about this great sport I'm also getting wiser with my training. When you realize that what you love the most could be taken away in an instant it makes you appreciate it more. Unfortunately two of my best friends have been suffering from some injuries of their own and just now are beginning to return. These two women have far more running experience and expertise than I do and I've learned so much from them. Their injuries have made me understand that I don't have to go full-tilt with every run.

This week I begin my training schedule and I will actually have to train less than I have in the past. I'm also going to cut back considerably on the number of races this upcoming season and instead focus on roughly one per month (instead of the 25+ races I did last year). My goal races are a 50 Mile race in May and finishing a Marathon in 3:30 or better (probably at the Scranton Marathon in the fall).

I believe that it is very important for everyone to find their passion in life. This needs to be something that is important to you and something that you realize you cannot live without. It can drive you to complete things that you otherwise found unattainable. It can also have a trickle down effect into other areas of your life. My passion has improved both my personal and professional life. It has given me an opportunity to meet 3 of the best friends I could ever ask for. Your passion should be something that is rewarding and something that is a priority in your life. Some may call it selfish but it is something that only you will truly understand and you should never have to apologize for. It has taken me years to discover my passion and I firmly believe that it can happen to anyone at anytime. If you haven't found yours then I urge you to try different things and don't be afraid to fail. There is absolutely no way that I would have thought that my passion was running 2 years ago. I only wish that I would have found it sooner.

No comments: