Friday, January 19, 2007

What do you think about when you are running/working out?

My running friends know that I have the worst sense of direction out of anyone (right Rob?). The reasons for this is that I not only get lost along the route but I also get lost in "thought" when I'm running. I actually enjoy this part of running more than anything else as it allows me to escape and do some deep thinking while getting exercise.

When I go out for runs, especially the long ones (over 20K) like I will today I will be thinking about my life. What I've accomplished and what I need to accomplish. I'll think about the great friends I've met since I started running. I'll think about my kids and what lies ahead for them in the future. Sometimes I'll just sing silently to my music. Mostly, though I will have a smile on my face as I can't think of a better way to spend my free time.

Running beyond any other activity I've ever done gives me the ability to do this. I'll have plenty of time to do this as it will take me roughly 2 hours to run this distance. Some people who run say that they have never experienced the runners "high" but I get it almost every time I lace up my shoes. I think I can count on one hand the number of "bad" runs I've had. This pales in comparison to the hundreds of runs I've had since I started running in July of 2005. I actually feel sad for the people who say that for them, the best part of their run is when they are finished.

Whether your favorite activity is running, walking, cycling or weight training, I hope that you appreciate the fact that you are doing something both mentally and physically good for your mind, body and soul.
Greg

No comments: