Thursday, December 07, 2006

Final preparations begin now!

With just over 1 week to go before my Marathon I'm winding down my running schedule. I ran on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (total of 35KM's) and will take Friday off. I have a 16K run on Saturday and then I may do a light 10K on Sunday at a VERY slow pace. After that it will be taper time.

This is the point in my training where I usually don't slow down as much as I should but I promised myself I will do it this time.
What that means is a run on Tuesday and Wednesday of no more than 5-6 K each day. After that there will be no running until the race on Sunday the 17th.

Tapering is so important yet it will challenge me mentally as I love running. Not only will I not run, I will really try not to do any type of working out after Wednesday. This will give my body a chance to prepare for the race on Sunday. I will also increase my intake of carbohydrates each day up until Saturday night. My water intake will hover around 3Ltr's per day so I should be well hydrated come Sunday morning.

Running a race away from home will be something that will be new for me. I will have to contend with sleeping in a different bed, eating different food then I'm used to and the weather change. I leave for Florida on the Thursday and my race is Sunday so hopefully I'll be acclimated to the weather by then.

Tonight I did a talk at the Running Room in Pickering for the 1/2 Marathon clinic. It was great seeing so many excited runners. This was a great time to do this talk as I was doing lots of research on carbo loading/glycogen to prepare and it made me even more conscious about my own diet for next week. I really want this to be the best race for me so I'm going to really focus hard for next week.
Thanks Cheryl and Paul for allowing me to speak tonight and good luck with your group!
Greg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Greg! Thank YOU for giving such a good presentation! From what I could tell, the clinic members enjoyed your talk and handout. --Paul M. (aka RunGeek)