Sunday, November 26, 2006

Whitby 10 Mile race report

Today, as part of my training for my upcoming marathon, I took part in the Whitby 10 mile race (16 KM). I have been doing tempo runs recently and decided that unlike my trail races, today I was going to run this race as fast as possible.
Even though I have done over 25 races in the past year, I was very nervous before this race. Doing trail races takes some pressure off of me since I find it difficult to run fast on the trails.
I went into this race wanting to do at least a 5min/K which would amount to a 1:20 time.
The weather was great and I decided to run in shorts as this would probably be the last race in shorts before the winter. I kept hearing this voice in my head (probably a combination of Nancy and Theresa) saying "don't go out too fast too soon." As I started out I felt amazingly strong and before I knew it I finished the first Kilometre in under 5 minutes (4:45). As the race continued I just kept getting stronger and stronger. This was the first race I can remember going out fast and holding the same pace for virtually the whole race.
I ended up finishing the race in 1:13 or a 4:35 pace. I can't thank Theresa, Nancy and Ken for teaching me how to train properly. It has made a world of difference and I know that I can get even better with time and practice.
I will take tomorrow off and get back into training on Tuesday.
Greg

No comments: