Sunday, December 10, 2006

T-Minus 7 days.........

OK, my official countdown thread starts in earnest today. This weekend I completed my last long run (18K on Saturday) and slow run (10K on Sunday) and I'm ready to begin my taper week.

If I feel crabby, listless, bored etc. etc., you can blame it on an excess of carbohydrates and a lack of running. That will be the name of the game this week. I will take tomorrow off from running but may do some light biking at home. This will be followed by an 8K run on Tuesday and a 6K run on Wednesday (Thanks Ken and Theresa). After that there will be no running whatsoever until Sunday morning.

I was looking over the temperatures for Jacksonville and they are calling for temperatures in the low teens for Sunday. The race starts at 7AM so I can feel safe wearing shorts and a light shirt (yeah). A friend of mine who has done this race before said that it is quite flat and fast so I'm hoping for a race time of 3:45 to 3:50. However, plenty will depend on how much rest I can get when I get to Florida on Thursday to Saturday. As most of you who know me can testify, I am a creature of habit. This race will test my patience as I won't have the normal comforts that I'm used to. I have been reminded that I am on vacation and yet I really do want to do well at this race.

I have received so much support from my friends in the running community and I want to take this opportunity to thank you all for your help.
Greg

No comments: