Friday, November 17, 2006

What exactly is the runners' "high?"

Today, as part of my training for my upcoming marathon, I ran 30K with one of my best friends (thanks Nancy!). For the most part we did a variation of 10 & 1's. That is, we ran for 10 minutes and then walked for 1 minute. I managed to do the run in 2:48 with an average pace of 5:33.
Immediately after today's run, I felt a sense of not only accomplishment but also euphoria. The feeling that I get when I run is hard to explain to people who don't run, but those that do understand it. The body and mind are both highly stimulated and seem to elevate a person's senses.
It may have something to do with fact that you are surrounded by so much environmental stimuli or it may be the fact that the stress levels of the body usually are lowered when running. Either way, for most runners we have experienced this at some point or another.
I find running to be the perfect tonic to "unload" whatever stresses I've accumulated. It's almost like I'm dumping the stress along the side of the road as I'm running. Running also allows me to think more clearly and problem solve as I do plenty of self talk along the way.
While I thoroughly enjoy running with the great friends I have, I also enjoy running on my own as well. Listening to music while running gives me a chance to escape and keep me motivated at the same time.
Give running a try, you won't be disappointed!

No comments: