Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Training for my next Marathon!

It's been an incredible running year and I have one more race to go and then will take at least a few weeks off from doing anymore competitive races. At last count I was up to 28 over the last year.
I am travelling to Jacksonville Florida for my next marathon on December 17th and have been following a great training plan for the past few weeks (thanks Theresa!).
Unbelievably, this is the first time I can remember actually following a plan. I typically run 5-6 days per week of varying lengths and intensity levels.
However, last week I was humbled by the experience of doing my first "tempo" run. A tempo run is a run where you run faster than your expected race pace and try to hold that pace for a certain length of time. I ran a 4:48 pace for approximately 9.5 K last week and followed that up doing a 4:49 pace for 11K yesterday. These runs have taught me a valuable lesson and that is I need to train smarter and not try and go full tilt every run. I feel that I am so much more prepared for my upcoming marathon and can't wait for race day.
I've been trying to eat "clean" for the most part with a higher percentage of carbohydrates (55%), less fat (15%) and more protein (30%).
I completed my last long slow distance run (LSD) of 30K on Sunday and now will begin to bring those runs down to about 25K or so.
As part of my training plan, I will be running a 10Mile race on November 26th in Whitby. My goal is to race this as hard as possible and once that is finished I can begin the process of tapering. I'm hoping for a 1:20 time or better.

For those of you interested in completing a marathon I urge you to sign up at the Pickering Running Room for their marathon training clinic which begins in January. The instructors are simply amazing and this will be the best clinic in the area. There will be a mix of inexperienced and experienced runners which will make the class fun. I'm looking forward to taking the clinic myself so sign up today!
http://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?id=2432

Greg

No comments: