Friday, November 24, 2006

Training update Nov. 20-24th

My marathon race is about 3 weeks away and I feel really good about my training up to this point.
I was concerned as I haven't run this distance since my last 50K race in June. I have run plenty of 25K trails and some 30's but running a marathon is a different animal. I actually like the feeling of fear as it will not allow me to get complacent.
I took Sunday and Monday off from running and rode the stationary bike instead for 1-2 hours each day. I wanted my legs to be fresh for my tempo run on Tuesday.

Tuesday tempo: This was the best tempo run (ok I've only done 3 but still). I managed to run the 10K in an average pace of 4:46 (Thanks Ken!). I actually felt good after finishing the run even though I started out with a pain on the top of my foot as I started.

Wednesday: I went on my own this day and ran 13K at an even pace of about 5:10. It's hard to go slow sometimes and I also feel that my tempo runs have made me faster during my regular runs. When I thought I was going slow I would glance at my speed and notice that it was faster than I thought.

Thursday: This was another good run of about 11K. Each day the top of my right food hurts a little but by the time I'm finished I feel nothing. Sometimes it's difficult to know if it is an injury or just a discomfort.

Friday: I ran another 10K. I was supposed to take today off in preparation for my race on Sunday but I needed to run so I went out. This is something that I WON'T do when my marathon comes around (I promise Theresa, Ken and Nancy!). I will take tomorrow off completely, no biking even and will get lots of rest and fluids in preparation for my 10 Mile race on Sunday. I'm hoping to do a 1:20 which would be a personal best for me so wish me luck!
Greg

No comments: