Thursday, October 05, 2006

My last trail race of the season

In one week I will be embarking on my last trail race of the season. It's a little sad as the season comes to an end but at the same time my body will surely enjoy the rest (unless I decide to do more races that is).
The race is in London http://vulturebaitrace.com/ and it features some pretty flat terrain with a few nice hills, along with some rocky stretches as well.
Last year I finished the race in 2:20 minutes so I'm hoping for a similar time next week. I have been training with a few runners who are trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon. They have been trying to get me to "taper." Simply put, tapering means that you are supposed to be cutting back on your running the week or two before a race. This gives the body a chance to heal itself and should provide a better result come race day.
For a novice like myself, it is hard to cut back on the mileage even though I do realize its' importance. Next week I will TRY to run only a few kilometres on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and then take Thursday and Friday off completely. I will begin carb loading on Wednesday night and by Saturday morning I should have sufficient energy to get me through the race without too much difficulty.
I'm looking forward to seeing my trial running friends although it will be sad to say goodbye to many of them as this is the final race of the season. Starting in January, I will be training for a 50 mile race which will take place in May of 2007 http://ouser.org/races/sulp.htm
Have a great Thanksgiving weekend everyone!!!

2 comments:

Ken said...

Good luck at Fanshawe! Your determination and strength will get you through to the finish. You have worked hard and you deserve to see some good results.

GregD'Cruz said...

Thanks Ken! You have been one of the many runners who have helped me along the way. I hope we can get together soon to watch the office!