Monday, October 02, 2006

Congratulations!

For the past 10 weeks I have been co-instructing a learn to run group at the Running Room in Pickering. It's hard to believe that I was even asked to teach this clinic as I still feel I have so much more to learn with regards to running. This weekend marked the 1 year anniversary of my running "career." I finished my first trail race, a 25K trail race, called the "Run for the Toad." It was an amazing experience which catapulted me into becoming a "race junkie!" I'll never forget how I felt when I crossed the finish line at that race and received my first trail running medal.

Teaching the learn to run group was an amazing experience and something that I will forever remember. When the clinic started, many of the men and women had never ran before but they were all determined to give it a try. Along the way we lost a few members but the majority of the group remained there throughout the 10 weeks. Each week they were challenged with more running times and less rest times and each week they responded beautifully. Yesterday they completed their first 5 K race at the Run for the Cure in Oshawa. I felt like a proud "papa" as I was able to run the groups into the finish area. I can only hope that they will forever remember that day and use it to springboard themselves into completing more races or just to keep running.

Well done!!!

No comments: