Monday, July 21, 2008

A big week ahead

After having a great 14 Mile run in the rain yesterday, I stayed on my training program and took the day off from running to lift weights instead. Even though I wasn't able to run on Saturday, I don't want to try and "make up" a run because that doesn't make much sense. Instead I did the smart thing and lifted weights. I'm starting to really feel the benefits of the weight training and today I increased the weights on my most of my exercises. Although the reps are high (30) I still get a good burning sensation in my muscles so I know it's working.

I'll be either running trails or roads tomorrow as well as Wednesday and Thursday then the fun starts. On Saturday I will be heading up to Paris Ontario to run in a training run for a race I'll be doing in October called Run for the Toad. A group of us will be running 3 loops there (37.5 K). I'm sure I will see many familiar faces there because with no race for still 3 weeks, many of us will use this opportunity to get ready for the second half of the racing season.

That same evening, one of my clients will be running her first ever race in Whitby and I'm so psyched for her. I have been training her for the past 12 weeks and she has done an amazing job throughout our sessions. This will be the culmination of all those weeks and I couldn't be any more proud.

Even though my legs will probably be tired from running in the morning, nothing could keep me from running with her as she completes her first race.

When we ran together last week, I told her about the learn to run group I taught in 2006. I'll never forget running in all of my students and they were so excited to fulfill their goal of finishing that race. Even though many of them have stopped running, I know that they'll forever remember that event. Being able to have an impact on someone's life in a positive way, makes me feel like I have accomplished something myself and it's something that I take great pride in. I often have said that I can do a great job of keeping someone motivated but that I can't GET them motivated for that lies within.

Whatever motivates you, make sure you never think about quitting and try to stay as positive as possible, even when times get tough. The world is filled with people who take great pride in what they "used" to look like or have accomplished, make sure that you are one of the few who continues to cherish the present and looks forward to achieving more in the future.

No comments: