Monday, December 24, 2007

Developing inner strength

It's not secret that I believe in the power of inner strength. It's also no secret that I feel that running has allowed me to not only find my inner strength but also to improve it as well.

As I was doing some last minute shopping today, (hey I'm a guy that's what we do right?) I ran into someone I hadn't seen in a long time. He used to workout with a friend of mine a few years ago. As I continued with my shopping I saw him heading towards me. I actually didn't even think he remembered who I was. We exchanged a quick hello and he made a point of telling me that I still looked good. It's amazing to me what little it takes to lift someone’s spirit up because that's what he did for me.

I find it extremely difficult to accept compliments so when I get them I tend to bookmark them for when I really need a boost. A big reason why I run in the first place is to improve not only my physical appearance but also to improve my mental game as well. Running allows me to work on my core strength and endurance. It also challenges me mentally to go further and further. There are times when I run when I feel like I could go on forever. Other times, though, it's a struggle just to get out the door.

To develop my inner strength I need to be away from any distractions. I've become better at becoming more independent and that has built up my self-confidence. Whenever I feel that I can't go on, I can always bring myself back to a time and place where I felt the same way but was able to continue.

Some people surround themselves with too many distractions and they never develop that inner strength. They rely too much on outsiders to provide their motivation and then when those people aren't there, they are lost and have a difficult time carrying on without them. Unfortunately, I see too many of these people at the gym. It's usually the ones who will only workout if they have a trainer to push them. Personal trainers can be a great asset but they shouldn't provide you with all your motivation should they? You should want to workout because it's something that YOU want to do for yourself.

Listening to music can be another way to escape from reality for a few hours. I guess that's why when I run on my own I simply must listen to music. There are some songs that really inspire confidence during a particularly tough run. I usually pay very close attention to the lyrics and have become very good at picking out a particular phrase which I can use as a metaphor for my running.

The stronger you can become mentally, the easier it will be for you to achieve the many goals you have for yourself. Nothing is out of the realm of possibilities as long as you continue to work hard at developing your inner strength.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

1 comment:

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Amen! The title of your post caught my eye and your entry is so right on. A friend of mine mentioned that even the great minds like Einstein needed solitude - I guess that puts us runners in great company.

Good luck with your running in 2008!

amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com