Thursday, May 14, 2009

The hills were mine this morning

If you live in Ajax or Pickering you probably know the hill that starts at Westney and Rossland and continues East on Rossland to Harwood. Today, as part of my training, I ran 4 sets up and down that hill. The distance was about 300 Metres and each week I will lengthen the distance and increase the sets (I'll alternate between the two). This was the first time I had run hills in more than a year. Whenever I see a hill during a trail race it means that I get to walk but because I am marathon training I have to prepare my body in a different way and that means increasing my speed. The first two sets were hard and after the 3rd set I was ready to pack it in but I kept pushing myself to finish because I knew how much I would have beaten myself up for not finishing. Nobody has to guilt me into doing anything, I'm very good at that myself.

I have had a good first week of preparation for my training. I'm still a few weeks away from my actual training program but I wanted to use this week as a preparation for what is to come. Next weekend I will be either doing a 50K or 25K trail race in Sulphur Springs. Right now I'm leaning towards the 25K but you never know.....

No comments: