Tuesday, April 29, 2008

On the trails again......



Today was my first trail run since my race in the Seaton trail 10 days ago. I have been taking it easy running mostly on the roads more out of convenience than any other reason. Instead of running in the Seaton today, I ran in the Rouge instead. This is my 2nd favorite place to run in but it seems like months since I have been there. Compared to the Seaton, I find it easier to run in as it isn't as technical but there are still some challenging climbs throughout the course which makes it tough.

It was so nice to return to my "roots" and what made it even more special was when I saw a deer once again. There is nothing more breathtaking than seeing one of these magnificent animals in the wild. That site alone is worth getting up at 4:30 in the morning.

I was able to retell my Seaton story to Ken during our run today and it reminded me of how special that run truly was. As I prepare for my first 100 mile race at the end of May, I'll cling to those memories and will use them to motivate me when it gets tough to concentrate. I'm treating this race as more of an adventure than anything else. I know that if I relax and have fun with it I'll be fine. As soon as I start to overthink what I'm trying to do then I know I'll be done for.

My legs feel very good and I think that I've fully recovered from my last race and I should be good to go for Saturday's 50K. This race won't be on trails (unfortunately) so the hardest part about it will be staying focused. I'll be using music throughout and I hope to complete the race in 5 hours or less.

No comments: